Hey, Facebook Generation!
Blogging has been around about 10 years LONGER than facebook. But there is a big difference and it’s all about MARKETING. Facebook is PUSH marketing, meaning you join facebook and I can contact you unless you block me. Blogging is about PULL marketing, meaning I have something interesting enough that you keep coming back for more. Who is the king of PULL marketing? Well, Google, of course, but advertisers don’t care, they like both. They want your eyeballs and YOU are the product, (that’s what FREE means). You know where you can get all the free food that you want? A feedlot.
So what does this mean?
1. My reasons for starting this blog are simple and if you keep reading you will find out why
2. Once my needs are fulfilled I will lose interest, unless I can be of service to YOU
3. If you like my blog I need you to SUBSCRIBE, so I know that you are out there. You can subscribe by clicking the ‘Follow’ icon at the top of the right hand column.
4. You can have my blog emailed to you, that’s fine, but I won’t know that you are reading it, so please read my blog on my blog site, so I know that you are there. When you get the email, just click the link to bring you to the website.
5. Read the blog from the website. Why? Because someone is tracking how often you visit and how long you stay on the page. (scary). This is a gauge for what you want and how well I’m writing.
6. If I ever achieve critical mass/interest then I might consider selling advertising. Frankly, this is not the reason why the blog exists. Regardless, if no one reads it, I’ll eventually stop.
Does it feel like I am asking too much of you? If so, do you use facebook or google, (or amazon, or …)? Then, what’s the difference?
This could turn out to be just another whim, or it might turn into something really meaningful. Either way is fine. But one of my goals is to help others. and if this blog helps you then please help me back.
The same applies to all the other blogs you read …
UPDATE: In order to sell advertising I have to blog for 90 days. When I started I wasn’t sure if I would have anything to say. Now every day I wake up with several new ideas about what to write about. Wow! So my plan is to try to compile a series of advice and stories from my personal experience and get it out there by the end of June. Then make a decision where to go from there. I also need to get back to one of my true passions which has been on hold since March, and then I have a vacation … I’m loving life right now.